Kaiko is a rapidly growing international start-up with a clear vision: to redefine how hospitals harness their data to revolutionize patient care, clinical research and operational effectiveness. Kaiko sees the potential for data to improve healthcare and aspires to be at the forefront of the AI revolution. Kaiko’s core offering, a data and AI platform, centralizes a hospital’s data from siloed systems, provides access at scale and enables cloud computing, storage and AI technology. Secure sharing, better data governance and privacy is fundamental to the offering. In Kaiko’s vision this platform will accommodate a large variety of use-cases across the health ecosystem, including AI development and integration in the hospital.
Founded in 2021 and majority owned by the Hartwig Foundation, Kaiko has since established a partnership with one of the leading cancer institutes in the Netherlands (NKI-AVL) and is expanding to other hospitals across the globe. With offices in both Amsterdam and Zurich, Kaiko unites data scientists, software engineers, medical experts and strategists from across the globe.
About the role
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our team. This exciting role will be based in either Amsterdam or Zürich.
As part of an interdisciplinary R&D team the you will work in close collaboration with computational biologists, machine learning scientists and software engineers. You will develop cutting edge solutions at the intersection of machine learning and distributed systems.
Here is what you'll do in the role
- translate non-technical requirements into scalable software solutions;
- are end-to-end responsible for various projects of increasing complexity; contribute to common code;
- participate in code reviews, guide technical design for small and medium features around software solutions and system design;
- identify problems/risks of own work and others;
- guide lower-level team members and collaborate actively with technical leads;
- propose and drive platform improvements of small to medium complexity;
- works with internal/external stakeholders/users to understand their workflows and resolve their issues;
- support internal/external stakeholders/users with adoption of platform components and features;
- build and share knowledge about new tools and technologies adopted within the organisation and relevant to the role.
The ideal candidate
- a minimum of 3 years of experience and expert knowledge in Java and/or Python. Other languages are a plus;
- in-depth understanding of technical foundations, tools, and software engineering best practices;
- subject matter expertise in software engineering and developing production systems;
- strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams to understand requirements and translate it into efficient software solutions;
- ability to design and implement a solution for a medium to large defined and understood problems and is able to develop reusable software following best practices;
- able to perform architecture reviews.
Nice to have:
- understanding of medical imaging standards, such as DICOM and/or PACS;
- knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes;
- experience with cloud deployments;
- experience with software stacks used in machine learning inference.
This Software Engineer position is a fulltime role. It is important for the applicant to be a resident in either The Netherlands or Switzerland, have a valid work permit and be within commutable distance from our office in Amsterdam or Zürich. Given the nature of Kaiko’s business and the fact that it deals with sensitive data, a Certificate of Conduct will be required upon finalizing the employment contract.
What can you expect?
At Kaiko we have an open, creative and non-hierarchical work atmosphere which offers continuous learning and direct impact in return for accountability and team spirit.
We offer flexibility - for instance, through remote working – alongside an expectation for managing and delivering your own goals; our team’s ownership, passion and shared commitment to improving health outcomes through data is something that sets us apart.
At the intersection of healthcare and data we recognize the implications on wellbeing and trust and approach our work with the utmost sensitivity. Data privacy, compliance and security are core to everything we do. Our open, creative environment gives talented people room to explore new ideas and we reward this with an attractive package and opportunities for further personal development.
Want to join Kaiko as a Software Engineer? Send us your application online (www.kaiko.ai) and we will contact you as soon as possible. At Kaiko we welcome everyone with equal enthusiasm. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com